Sunday, January 31, 2010

The First Crossword Puzzle


Arthur Wynne was born in 1862 and he died in 1945. He lived in Liverpool England, and he was a British editor. He was also a puzzle constructor in the United States. On December 21, 1913 he invented a crossword puzzle that was the first one ever made. He came up with the idea while playing magic squares puzzles. A crossword puzzle is a square or a rectangular grid with blank squares. At the bottom of the grid are questions that you have to answer in order to fill in the blanks. People from the United States all know what a crossword puzzle is thanks to Arthur Wynne.

3 comments:

  1. I had never really thought about where crossword puzzles came from! Thank goodness for Arthur Wynne because I love them! Your plate turned out really well - that puzzle was hard to draw but you did a great job! Love you to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Isabel, Regarding your last articles - What we noticed most was your ability to zero into the really important points in a very interesting and concise way without a lot of unnecessary descriptive comments. A true sign of perhaps a "future journalist"!!! Keep up the good work. We both very much enjoy reading your literary works. Love Aunt Jane and Uncle Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really surprised to learn that crossword puzzles were invented such a short time ago. I know that you don't think it is a short time ago, Iz, but my mother was born in 1912. It's hard for me to believe that my mom was older than crossword puzzles. I love that you are teaching me such a lot of interesting facts through your interesting articles. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

    ReplyDelete